Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Reflections

Sometimes getting the truth is the hardest conversation to have with someone. No one wants to hurt feelings or upset anyone, so they sugarcoat things. It's only by pressing that you get the truth, and once you have it, the realizations that come along with it.


I finally got the truth yesterday and it's time to deal with it.


When I started my writing journey a few years back, it was for fun. I had stories to tell and never really thought any more of it. As I kept going, it went from hobby to something that I started to take more seriously. Then, as more books sold, it became a passion. It wasn't overnight, but I remember one day thinking, "This is something I could totally see doing one day on a more full-time basis."


As a computer guy, I have spreadsheets and limitless pieces of data lying all over the place. One of those spreadsheets shows how my books do, obviously. The other day, it dawned on me that the series retention rate from Death Among Us through the current book, Jacoby's Revenge, ended up being only about 25%. That surprised me. So I sought out some opinions from those closest to me.


No one wanted to offend me. I kept pressing, until one brave soul told me the truth - there are numerous errors and some plot point inconsistencies. Finally, someone told me what I needed to hear. So, with that, what to do? A few authors said just to have it edited and just update the version on Amazon. However, one author gave me another idea, one I liked even more. Pull the books completely, revamp them, and release them under new names and cover art. "Let's give your books a brand new identity."


And that's what I am going to do. Over the next few weeks, I'm going to start pulling stuff down. Death Among Us is already in some very capable hands, getting revisions and corrections handled as we speak. I'll keep everyone posted as this new beginning really takes place, but in the meantime, feel free to email me any questions you might have. I'm always around.


-Jack
jack.crosby25@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment